Saturday, March 27, 2010

Nathan's Birth Story

As delivery day approaches for baby K (in 6 weeks), I realize I don't think I've documented Nathan's birth story. If I have, or you have already heard it, please feel free to skip this post:) I however, want to post it so that once I have two kiddies, I don't confuse or forget anything.

On Saturday morning, August 25, 2007, I woke up around 7am with very light cramping. I noticed it came and went quickly about every ten minutes. However, it didn't cross my mind that I could possibly be in early labor. My first thought was "oh no, what if something is wrong?" This went on all morning. Just before noon, my mom called and asked if we wanted to go eat lunch. We met them at Izzy's. On the way there, the cramping (contractions) became more painful. I still didn't think much. Even trying to get my food at Izzy's was tough. I remember having to stop walking and just stand there when they would come on. And sitting at the table and having conversation was hard. I didn't say anything, I just toughed it out. Needless to say, I didn't eat much. We visited with my mom and Bob for a bit and then headed home. Before we got home I noticed that these were DEFINITELY contractions and they were coming quicker and quicker. So we timed them. Sure enough, every five minutes, lasting a minute. So I called the on call doc. Our options: labor at home a while longer or head in to see if I was truly in labor. So I decided to take a warm bath at home...which did nothing for me. Finally, I couldn't take it. Cass drove me to the hospital. On the way there I called my mom and told her to call my sis and have her drive over from Redmond. This was it.
We got to the hospital around 2 or 3pm. Got admitted, checked and sure enough, we were going to have a baby!!! My plan: epidural:)
After what seemed like forever, the anestesiologist (SP??) came in around 5 or so. The second he walked in the door, I sat up and my water broke. He gave me the epidural and instantly I could relax.
We literally hung out for the next several hours. I sent texts to people letting them know I was going to have my little guy! I remember Tiffani finally getting there when it was almost time to start pushing. I think I pushed for a half hour or 45 minutes and Nathan was born at 11:40pm!!

I had no idea how my life would change that night!
Now I'm about to embark on yet another adventure and have another child. We are so happy and excited. I have anxieties because I know how hard it can be in those first few weeks/months. How do I manage two? Will she sleep better than Nathan did? Will breastfeeding be easier this time around? Will Nathan's behavior change? Will I have post pardum again? Will I be able to lose the weight quicker this time?

I'm trying not to dwell on the "what if's, how to's, etc" until the time comes. Until then, I'm going to enjoy every minute I have with just Nathan. He will always be my favorite little man and I already grieve that our one on one time will change. I already miss it. So I need to really focus on him while I have just him. Then when our little girl gets here, I will cherish every minute that we have with her too.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You need a baby ticker for baby K on your blog!