Saturday, March 19, 2011

Paranoid/Anxiety or Being Prepared?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQXDt4VdS0E

Watch this! This is not the first I've heard of Jim Berkland and his earthquake predictions. It is the first interview I've seen though. (Thanks Stephanie for posting this on fb!). I couldn't sleep last night. Ever since the Japan earthquake, I think about my own family and what we would do if a natural disaster ever happened here. Well it doesn't sound like that is too far off!
I lost sleep last night planning out my 72 hour emergency kit, thinking of meeting places for my family, the who's, what's, where's, and when's. I drove myself crazy. But I wanted to post what I'm planning!
-stocking up on LOTS of water. (A Costco trip is in my plans today)
-diapers and wipes
-food for my kids. Jarred baby food/formula/ etc
-other non-perishable food items
-gas in all cars
-charged cell phones at all times
-Batteries and flashlights
-lighters and candles
-we have a meeting place if Cass and I aren't together at the time
I'm still driving myself crazy. I worry about my friends on the coast. I'm just a bowl full on worry and anxiousness right now. Hopefully once I'm prepared, I'll feel better.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

I’m right there with you. Especially being in Alaska I’m freaking out about all the “what ifs” and being stuck here if something were to happened. I was talking with someone last night (an older man) who said that you’re suppose to have six months worth of food/living stuff in your house. And I’m like, um, we have like 2 weeks MAYBE of food!!!

I am making a costco trip as well and buying lots of bulk things... it’s a scary world..

Heather said...

Trace - I just posted something similar to this. Last week really scared me and although I feel prepared if Brian lost his job or if we lost power, I wasn't prepared to have what I need to leave the house!

Cedar Reids said...

Ok, so I'm just getting around to reading blogs, and I'm glad I'm a little late for this one, or else I would have worried for you! I'm glad that it didn't happen between the 19th and the 26th.... but the reality is: It could happen anytime, anywhere!
As LDS, we have always been taught to have a year supply of long term food storage, and a 3 month supply of everyday food. Of course, it's not easy, but we have been planning and preparing for years now. I finally feel pretty comfortable that we would be ok. We have 72 hour kits, and our emergency plans ready. There is LOTS to think about when trying to plan and prepare. Trust me, it takes YEARS! But you have to start somewhere!!! Keep up with it and every 6 months rotate and change out the things in your 72 hour kits. aka kids clothes/diaper sizes, and food. Slowly buy the extra food supply for your house. It's not hard to do it, but it does take time! :)

Cedar Reids said...

you should also check out: www.providentliving.org
It is a great website with great information! If you click the home storage link, there is a section on long term food storage and short term food storage. Also water purification and storage, and a bunch of other stuff! :)

The Beavers said...

THANK YOU RACH!!!