Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Things on my mind...

Why do you suppose we try so hard sometimes to make a relationship work? If it takes more work and stress than there are pay offs, is it really worth the relationship??? Does that even make sense? I found myself in a situation recently where I finally decided to call it quits with my effort to befriend someone. I like people and I consider myself someone who is easy to get along with. I'm sure I annoy people too. I find myself being nice to people I don't even really like and who aren't so nice themselves. I don't like to have stressful, negative relationships so I figure the best way to avoid it is to suck it up, put a smile on my face and be nice, even going out of my way to do nice things for them. I don't know, I'm starting to think it's a downfall. So I've decided that instead of trying so hard to make that relationship work, I'll be civil, but no more going out of my way. I find that as I get a little older, experience more, and know what's really important in my life, I have less tolerance for people that are disrespectful, rude and quite honestly just too much work to get a long with. I've always been a pretty opinionated person, just ask those that I'm close with (my family, Cass, closest friends) and I've decided that I'm going to start sticking up MORE LOUDLY for what I think, believe and stand for. No more smiling and nodding just to avoid the awkward conflict. Is this a bad thing? Or should I just keep walking on eggshells around people to avoid a possible confrontation? I'm not going to be rude and disrespectful, just more firm you could say. I'm not really sure if what I'm trying to say is coming out right. If you knew the certain situation in detail it might make more sense and I wouldn't sound like such a b*&#@. Blogging about it might not be the best idea but it's what's on my mind lately.
No worries though, if you are reading this, you are not the victim of these thoughts. It's a specific situation that got me thinking about how and why it got to the point that it is at. I conclude that I have contributed to the stress of the relationship because I haven't been true to myself and this other person about how I really feel. Instead I've covered it up by doing things I don't really want to do, putting on a happy face when really all I want to do is ask "are you serious?" and now it's eating at me that I feel so strongly about it. I really need to take a deep breath, remember what's important and not waste my time thinking so much about it and blogging about it to people who now think I'm a psycho idiot. Ok, I'm done!!

4 comments:

The Cleary Family said...

Sometimes it helps to get that stuff out - even in a blog. I have done it and now you may think more about your reaction because you actually wrote about how you are going to react next time. Good for you, Trac!

christinaandbrian said...

i get it traci. without sounding too cold - relationships are a type of investment. you have to invest time and energy and if you are not getting anything back or comfortable about you are investing in then it's not worth it. sometimes though i think God wants us to be friends with people we don't want too (kinda like my relationship with you..Just KIDDING) and in that case..it's an investment that will pay back differently, and I think you know when that is.. make sence? maybe I should have wrote my own blog and not an entire post in your comment section.

The Beavers said...

Christina, I totally get what you are trying to say. I like what you said about relationships are a type of investment...thanks for comment!!!

Heather said...

Like I said earlier. . . Be impeccable with your word and don't take anything personally - It's NOT about you.