Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sleeping update!!!

So many of you know that we have struggled with the whole sleep thing with Nathan since he was a newborn. We have worked really hard at getting him to sleep through the night and have tried many different theories. It seemed none of them worked. What did work was bouncing him to sleep and gently laying him down in his crib. This often times took twenty minutes or more. About five nights ago Cass and I had both taken a turn (totaling about 40 minutes) bouncing, singing, rocking, etc. Finally, I laid him down and left the room. There was approximately ten minutes of crying and then silence. He put himself to sleep!!!! Great job. So the next night I figured we would try again. Ten minutes of crying and then sleep! Night three...three minutes of crying. Night four, ten minutes of crying. Last night, two or three minutes of crying and then sleep. I think we did it. I don't want to jinx myself so I will say it's working FOR NOW. I still snuggle him at nap time just because I want to and I am usually wanting a nap or some down time myself. In the last five days his morning nap has increased from one hour to almost two hours. PLUS he still has a second nap later in the day...still only about an hour. Cass actually had to go wake him up yesterday afternoon because it was getting late in the day.
My conclusion to the long journey of sleep (that I know is NOT over) is that Nathan wasn't ready when we tried this before. He's ready now and so are we!! Did I mention that he sleeps for a good ten hours, wakes up and then I bring him to bed with me for another hour or two! I finally get a full night of sleep!
Enough for now.

3 comments:

Cedar Reids said...

That is awesome to hear! I know I can relate with sleep problems. . . we still have a couple nights a week where the kids end up in bed with us around 2a.m. They go to sleep by themselves fine, but they wake up in the night and crawl into our bed. Don't know what to do about it either?

Heather said...

That's awesome, what a relief!

Mama Yenchik said...

HOORAY for sleeping babies!!!!!!