Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My two cents.

I have been reading several different "mom blogs" lately and I really like them. They are all very different. Different points of view, opinions, experiences and research. That's the beauty of the blog world, you can state you own views and the readers can take it or leave it!! There is also nothing wrong with two people that don't share the same ideas. Again, that's the beauty of having your own blog and just being your own individual.
So here is my small opinion.
Sometimes I think we have TOO much information at our fingertips. We have self help books galore, the internet, tv, and our friends and family:) For me personally, I read just about any and everybook about pregnancy and babies before I had Nathan. For me, it gave me unrealistic expectations about how Nathan would eat, sleep, and behave. I thought breastfeeding would be a piece of cake and that there was no way lack of sleep would affect my own behavior! REALITY CHECK!! There is no parenting manual or book that can tell you that one method will work 100% over another one. EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT. What works for one family might not work for another. Just because my child walked at 8 1/2 months doesn't mean yours will. My opinion on issues and situations that I've mentioned...do what works for you. My own experience has been that things will eventually work themselves out.

Also, I often think about the fact that my mom and aunts and grandma's, etc raised their children without all the resources we have now and I turned out just fine. I'm smart, healthy, respectful and a contributing member of our society. Isn't that what we try to raise our kids to be? And I know that I watched tv, ate sugary foods, and sometimes stayed up late. I'm not damaged:) Again, form your own opinion on these issues, mine is that everything is good in moderation. I'll admit...when I was pregnant I always said Nathan would not eat any junk food before he was old enough to write his own name in cursive. HAHAHA. NEVER SAY NEVER PEOPLE!!! Things are much easier said than done. And Ialso crave the half hour of Blues Clues so I can have my hands free, sit on the couch for a second or check my email.

So in a nutshell...never say never, do what works for you and don't feel bad about it!!

I enjoy reading other blogs and opinions so keep posting them. It does make me take a step back and think about things and I appreciate other points of view.

3 comments:

The Cleary Family said...

I love it. Very well said, Trac.

Cedar Reids said...

You are SO right! I'm the same way, with wanting to know everything and read up on everything that happens. Just today I was google(ing) what's going to happen if Taylor needs the stye removed from her eye! (pictures were disgusting) We are so lucky to have all the resources at our fingertips, but need to remember that we ultimately need to figure out what works best for us. :) How did you get so smart.... I hope it runs in the family :)
Love you guys!

christinaandbrian said...

thanks traci. welcome home!