Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oh Child of mine

Can someone please post (besides Heather!!) their children's sleeping habits/patterns. We have always struggled with Nathan's sleep and it has gotten so much better as he's gotten older...HOWEVER...once he goes to sleep, he wakes up on the half hour mark until we go bounce him back to sleep. EVERY NIGHT! Tonight, he went to bed at 730. Eight o'clock comes around and he wakes up. Cass gets him back to sleep...10 o'clock, my child is awake again. This has been a nightly thing. What do we do? This last time, I went in, cuddled him, laid him down in his crib and he cried it out for about 20 minutes. I think it's safe to say he's sleeping now. Does anyone know why he does this? What wakes him up at the half hour mark? He doesn't have a night time bottle and hasn't for several months...so it's not that. After he wakes once or twice he can sleep for up to ten hours straight. I just don't know what to do about the first few hours he's in bed. It's frustrating. I've been doing the easy thing by bouncing him back to sleep but I don't think he is learning how to put himself back to sleep....and he's crying now AGAIN. Hmmmm....thanks for letting me vent.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I know you don't want to hear from me, but I do love Nathan the most. So there you go.
I wonder if it's a habit. I don't know how long it's been going on, but it could just be a habit that he needs to grow out of. If so, maybe do something else than bounce him. Like nothing or . . . let me think about it some more.

The Beavers said...

I think it's habit too...he's ALWAYS done it. But there have been times that he doesn't do it...like a week at a time. I agree we need to break the bouncing routine too...it's just so much easier than listening to him cry.

Samantha said...

what if you let him cry it out?

The Beavers said...

Samantha...TRIED IT! He is a stubborn little guy. If he wakes in the middle of the night I let him cry back to sleep and it only takes no more than 10 min. I think it's cause he isn't wide awake. I'm going to give it one more month (he'll be 1) and then try the "cry it out" one more time. See what you have to look forward too???

Candy McCall said...

Oh the joys of parenthood!
It was so fun meeting you. I'll have to stay updated through your blog.
Work on that BINGO will ya!!! GEEs!
;0)

christinaandbrian said...

I'll share my experiences with you tomorrow...my 10wks of experience that is :)
i've done LOTS of reading though!!
can't wait to see you.

Mama Yenchik said...

Hey Traci...I just posted a blog about sleeping habits today. I've been going through my own stuff, it's not fun!!